Since Musings of a Classic Flim Addict and I joined WordPress this summer, we’ve both discussed hosting our own blogathon. Even though we’re two of the newer members of this community, we were excited to participate because of the welcoming atmosphere and the excellent writers here. We considered William Powell and Rock Hudson (both of which we may do in the future, so keep an eye out) but when we remembered that Humphrey Bogart’s birthday was coming up in December, we knew we had found our man, so here is our very first blogathon honoring the king of noir.
“Here’s looking at you, kid.”
He’s number one on AFI’s Greatest Stars of All Time list, and his film quotations take up an astounding five spots on their 100 Greatest Quotes list, the most for any actor. He’s an Oscar winner and three time Oscar nominee. He has his hand and footprints permanently cemented in the courtyard of Grauman’s Chinese Theater, and he has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in honor of his outstanding career in motion pictures. In short, he’s the best, and there’s really no better actor to add to this year’s multitude of blogathon tributes. Of course it would be difficult for many bloggers in the community to participate in this birthday blogathon on his actual birthday on Christmas Day, so we decided to push it ahead a little bit in order to accommodate everyone.
- Bogie has an extremely significant and diverse filmography with over eighty films to his credit, so we will only be allowing ONE duplicate for each film, and this is only going to be allowed only on a case-by-case basis. We want as many films to be covered as possible, and we made sure to leave most of his classics open for the taking. For example, we don’t want to see two out of five bloggers writing about Casablanca (1942). Try to expand your horizons and write about a film that you may not be as familiar with first.
- Anything relating to Humphrey Bogart is up for grabs! You could write about his relationship with Lauren Bacall, his Oscar nominations, his many collaborations with John Huston, or even how he helped Gene Tierney on the set of The Left Hand of God (1955). The possibilities are endless!
- Once you think of a topic, please leave a comment with your blog’s name, your blog’s link, and your subject (include the year if you’re choosing a movie). You may comment on Musings of a Classic Film Addict’s post as well.
- Once you’ve been approved, help us spread the word! We’re both fairly new blogs and we’ll need all the help we can get! Please take one of our lovely banners from below and put it somewhere on your blog, and make sure to tell your friends. We want as many participants as possible, and if this blogathon is a success we will likely do it again next year!
- Sleepwalking in Hollywood — Dark Passage (1947)
- Musings of a Classic Film Addict — Dead Reckoning (1947)
- Moon in Gemini — The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
- Champagne for Lunch — Battle Circus (1953) & possible tribute post
- Defiant Success — Bogart’s Oscar-nominated performances
- Cinema Cities — In A Lonely Place (1950)
- Phyllis Loves Classic Movies — We’re No Angels (1955)